You’re in the middle of the most bitter week of winter and you wake up shaking in a pile of blankets in bed. The first thing you think is, “Why in the world has my furnace not kicked on?” Of course, you don’t want to leave yourself in a scenario like this where it feels like you’re doomed to suffer until morning to arrange furnace repair, but there are a couple things you can check, as well as a few things you can do, to stay on your toes and have a plan for a scenario like this.
Before You Experience Problems:
- Furnace service. Cold nights and furnace repair can’t always be avoided, but having annual furnace service completed can help you avert a chilly predicament.
- Compile supplies. Set aside some room in a closet, drawer or another easily accessible area for blankets, a space heater, gloves, hats and any number of other accessories to keep you warmed up while your furnace isn’t running. It could seem inconvenient or unnecessary now, but it will come in handy when you need it most.
After You Suspect Your Furnace Quit Working:
- Check the circuit breaker. There’s a chance that the breaker to your furnace could have been tripped by a power surge or for another reason. If this is the case, switch the breaker back on and you could be set. If the breaker is flipped and you have turned it back on but your furnace still isn’t running, give us a call to arrange an appointment for furnace repair.
- Add layers and get cozy. That load of supplies we recommended above will come in handy here. Layers can help you retain body heat so you can stay cozy while waiting for your pro. Also, try to find an activity to do to keep your blood pumping, as elevated activity can help keep you warm.
- Stay safe. Utilizing something other than your furnace to heat your home can pose potential danger depending on the method you’re choosing. It’s important to remember to never choose heating methods created for outdoor use – i.e. kerosene heaters, grills, or any other carbon monoxide producing methods. If you need to use another method, electric space heaters, fireplaces or wood stoves are your safest options.
No one wants to deal with furnace repair in the middle of winter after their furnace has gone out, but the possibility is real if you don’t take the correct steps. Give the pros at Jent Mechanical LLC a call at 937-845-1111 if you have any questions about these tips, the furnace repair services offered or any other number of heating questions.