Generally, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Contingent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, how many pets you have, and how regularly your air filter has been changed, to name a few—you may adjust your air duct cleaning
more or less frequently. So, how can you tell for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are absolutely some revealing signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a blockage within your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers carrying out dust?
- When you look inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
- Can you hear clatter other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have not as much airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s more than likely time to ask Jent Mechanical LLC in Dayton about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are some things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and prolong the period of time between professional cleanings.
Above all, schedule annual HVAC maintenance with the specialists at Jent Mechanical LLC. A service of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should include inspection, and potential replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system operating efficiently, and may help keep your ducts clean.
You can also talk to the team at Jent Mechanical LLC about installing an air purification system. We offer the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other actions you can take include:
- Frequently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Examining your air filters routinely and replacing them when the manufacturer recommends changing them. Most filters will present dust on them after a brief stint in service, but they may not require exchanging.
- Sealing leaks in air ducts that allow dust to enter from areas like your attic.
- Exchanging poor or damaged air-duct insulation.
With a professional air duct cleaning and some preemptive measures, you can help keep the air in your Dayton home clean and healthy. Give the professionals at Jent Mechanical LLC a call at 937-845-1111.